Friday, March 15, 2013

Temptation



I've always wondered why Jesus did not rebuke Satan at the first temptation in the wilderness  Could He have? Of course, because later on Jesus had the authority to cast him out of many people. I think it may be because He knew this was His test to prepare Him for His ministry and His death. Since the Spirit led Him into the wilderness, Jesus must have known this was His proving ground, the opportunity chosen by God to prove Jesus's character, that He was who He said He was, to show Jesus that He could overcome the enemy here and one day on the Cross. I have the feeling Jesus was submitted to His Father so completely that He willingly put Himself in God's hands and would stay there and endure whatever until God released Him by sending Satan away  It says, "When the devil finished tempting Jesus..." (why was he finished? b/c he didn't get anywhere or b/c that was all God allowed?) "he left Him until the next opportunity came..." was that next opportunity in the garden before His crucifixion? (just like in the garden of Eden when he tempted Eve
!)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Somehow I came across your blog and am very inspired. Can you recommend a daily devotion, maybe a post? I have made my way through Blackaby's Experiencing God Day by Day twice and Streams in the Desert twice. Right now I am not in the Word daily and know I need to.
Thanks!

Deitra said...

Thanks so much Carrie! My absolute favorite devotional is Jesus Calling. It is based on Scripture and is written as if Jesus is speaking directly to you. I love both of the devotionals you've read. Here are a few more recommendations:
My Utmost for His Highest: Oswald Chambers
The Valley of Vision by Banner of Truth
A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God:Reuben Job