Saturday, February 04, 2012

Confession and Petition




Abba,
The times I have sinned and been prideful or not truly lived into Your truth are so numerous, I am ashamed. I try to find You more and more throughout my day and yet forget time and time again as I turn to my own doings.

My sins and short-comings present me with a list of debts that I cannot pay for their number is astronomical. But thank You Jesus for canceling out my certificate of debt, nailing it to the cross; Your blood stamping in red, “paid in full; now and forever.”

Please continue to blot out in my life my corruptions and teach me to choose Your way over my own. I do not want the lustings of my mind to rule me. I want Your rule in my heart, mind, soul because that is where true freedom lies.

Thank You for not answering all of the prayers I pray, in the way I want or in my timing because I have asked from wrong motives or without wisdom. Continue to say “no” to any wrongful requests I ask You for but don’t let that keep me from praying. I want my prayers to align with Your desires, not just my own.

Purge me from every false desire, everything that in any way goes against You and Your rule.

I thank You for all Your wisdom and love toward me, even in Your acts of discipline, for Your refiner’s fire that purifies the gold by removing the dross, so You can see Your reflection in me.

The hardest trials are not the one’s You bring to me, for those are for my good and Your Glory but the ones that come from within when I seek my own way.

If You would give me the choice between living in pleasure and keeping my sins or have them burnt away with trial, I choose sanctified affliction. I trust You not only know best but that Your intentions toward me are deeply good.

Deliver me from every evil habit that seems okay to me, everything that dims the brightness of Your grace in me, anything that keeps me from delighting in Your Presence with me and making You my “first thing.”

I bless you, Abba, for having an intense desire to help me achieve the end for which You lovingly created me, for me to live into the person You originally intended me to be.
I adore You . . . as You wish.

This is my personal paraphrase of Confession and Petition found in The Valley of Vision: Puritan Prayers and Devotions.  Even though the original words are from the 1600’s, they speak anew to me with life for this age.

1 comment:

Phyllis H. Buckman said...

Thank you for this post. I needed it tonight as my heart has been heavy with my own confession. I praise my Father in heaven for leading me to your blog.

May you be blessed.