Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On the Things God Witholds



When I say "I need this" (to be happy, content, fulfilled . . . you fill in the blank) what I really am saying is God's love and God's life are not enough. Isn't that what Adam and Eve were seduced into believing - that God was not enough? He had given them so much but all they could see . . . was the one thing they didn't have.

Once we focus on that one thing it swells to mythic proportions. We are certain life will "come together" once we have "it" or achieve "it." The only thing we truly need is God and the LIFE He gives us.

God uses our disappointments, our longings, to draw us to Himself. To wean our hearts from every other perceived source of life so that we might come to find our life in Him. This may be why everyone of us bears at least one major and lingering disappointment in our life that we don't understand why it is still there and unfulfilled. It reminds us everyday that we cannot make life work the way we want. If we'll let it, the disappointment can be God's way of continually drawing us back to Himself.

I have a choice - I can let my disappointments define my life. Or I can let them them take me back to God, to find my life in Him in ways I have not yet learned. And so I break the agreement that I've made, that I need this. I give this place in my heart back to You, God. Fill me with Your love and Your life in this very place.

You alone are enough.

taken from Walking with God by John Eldredge

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I do agree, God uses our tough times, to teach us things, and to bring us closer to Him :) Thanks for posting! love u mom!

Deitra said...

Thank YOU for posting your comment! Glad this ministered to you sweetie!

Debbie Millman said...

He is all we need. He is all we need. He is all we need. He is all I need.