Saturday, August 26, 2006

Storms


I was reading back through my last year's journal and found this entry from a mini-vacation we took to Naples, FL. We stayed at Rob's Great Aunt Katty's beach condo.
"Last night about 3pm I heard thunder rolling and saw the flash of lightning. I lay there, thanking God for this "gift" b/c I love storms and especially the sound of rain on the roof. This morning the sea is rough, crashing waves, overcast sky. But there is still a certain beauty at the beach even amidst the storminess. I ponder that and realize there is beauty even in the storms of life, even in the midst of them. It's not the peacefulness you feel on a calm day, but maybe the beauty is in the power that motivatres the storm to come and the cleansing that the storm seems to produce as the beach now lies flat and clear of debris. Sure, it stirs up a lot of muck - seaweed, sand, driftwood. The waters are more murky today and yet when everything settles, there is a cleansing, it almost gives a purifying effect. Isn't that just like God? He uses the storms in our lives to motivate us to huddle up to Him for safety and as a result of the storm, we are purified, refined. Maybe that is one hidden reason why I LOVE storms!" (May 31, 2005, Tuesday)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I love storms too! And that's a beautiful way to look at "storms" in our own lives. Thanks for the little devotional to start my day! Have you ever thought of writing a book with your journal entries??

Deitra said...

Thanks for the encouraging comment! Actually I HAVE written a book, unpublished as of yet. It does contain a lot of my journal entries but mostly about hearing God. Title is: Ears Wide Open: Hearing God's Voice in Everyday Life. It actually starts right before our move to camp and follows my journal of hearing God through different circumstances while we were there. I have never thought of doing a devotional type book with journal entries. I probably have enough of them to do that though. Good idea, Court! Thanks for the encouragment!

Debbie Millman said...

Ditto what Courtney said. A good reminder that God has purposes for us even in the storms of life. He really is incredible and it continues to amaze me how He knows exactly what we need and when we need it.